World Syntegrity Project
Collated Statements of Importance
RELIGION - CAIRO, EGYPT
- There should be freedom of worship. One should be allowed to choose his/her own religious faith. The World Government should set up a system to check possible trespasses of all religious groups.
- All elements of politics should be removed from religion.
- The World Government should protect her citizens from harm by religion.
- The World Government of World Citizens should keep hands off all religious cares.
RELIGIOUS INTOLERANCE - Purple - LIVERPOOL, U.K.
- Publicise tolerance
- Religion has a value that needs to be explored
- Communicate "Good" rather than "God"
- Concentrate on similarities
- Share religious awareness or experience with people who want it
- Inter-communion between religions at grassroots and leadership level
- Individual ethics or morality should be respected provided it respects human rights.
RELIGION AS A SHIELD - Black - LIVERPOOL, U.K.
Misinterpretation of original scripts at any point in the religion's history can and does lead to flagrant human rights abuses (e.g. Muslim treatment of women and American Anti-abortionists). Some mechanism should be found to hold them accountable for this.
A process of continual adaptation should be included in religions.
RELIGION - NEW HARTFORD, NEW YORK
We must move beyond the concepts of authority and dogma as currently espoused by many religions. Religion should focus on the "here and now" with emphasis on self respect and respect for inner wisdom. Education should include teaching everyone about all religions, including information about atheism, skepticism, and agnosticism. We should, as well, teach people to respect the religion of others. No one is allowed to be mentally or physically harmed in the name of religion.
- As an interim step, we should work to identify what makes people, need "religion" and/or spirituality and make sure it is satisfied.
- There should be an emphasis on positive, personal spirituality not upon authority.
- Government must not be connected to religion in any way, except to protect people from harm by religion.
- Human values should be promoted.
SPIRITUALITY/THE IMPORTANCE OF SPIRITUALITY - Dark Blue - SWANSEA UNIVERSITY
Spirituality is a resource that some people draw on. An ingredient of world democracy is recognizing the existence of spiritual beliefs. Individuals should be entitled to their own autonomous beliefs and free from persecution or coercion by others. We recognize that dangers arise in organizing religion, as history has frequently demonstrated.
WE NEED TO FIND A COMMON HUMAN VALUE SYSTEM, AND ELIMINATE THE IMPOSITION OF RELIGIOUS VALUE SYSTEMS. - Purple - TORONTO, CANADA
We do have values in common, it's a matter of recognizing/ discovering which ones we share. Our actions communicate.
Human kind is served by a shared vision.
We do not practice what we preach.
By realizing our commonalities we will behave / act in ways that will produce and perpetuate our shared vision of one harmonious planet.